Monday, June 20, 2011

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Title: You Wish
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: August 5, 2010
Source: Bought

Summary: Kayla McHenry's sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla's secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin' do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year's supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla's wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is her best friend's boyfriend.

Review: I LOVE Mandy Hubbard, her books are amazing. Well her one book. But I'm not sure why I put off reading You Wish for such a long time! It was a great, fun, super cute read and a new favorite!

Kayla. Ohmigoodness! I loved that girl. She was so easy to relate to and she was such a quirky character! Which was so nice to read about. I hate getting cookie-cutter female leads. She also had tons of snark and sass, which gives her a million points in my book. She was just the ultimate funny person. And I felt for her too. Sometimes in light reads you can't connect to the main character...not the case in You Wish!

And while I was blown away by Kayla, I was swooning along with her at the awesomeness of her best friend's boyfriend, Ben. Who hasn't had a crush on someone you couldn't have!? Kayla's antics around him were quite funny.

And the concept of You Wish is absolute genius! I loved the idea of all birthday wishes coming true. I'm not really big into making wishes but I'm sure some of mine have been pretty stupid! Anyway the idea was fantastic and I loved seeing what the wishes were!

A funny, sweet read, You Wish is that perfect summer read!

Rating:

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This book sounds super cute. I'm sure I'd be scared if my old birthday wishes came back to haunt me. I don't even remember what half of them were...so it some cases I'm sure it would be fun, but in others a complete nightmare.

Lauren M said...

Y'know, I see this book EVERY time I go to the library. I've never really had the urge to check it out, but now I'm thinking twice! I love protagonists with snark and sass. :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater