Friday, June 24, 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: May 10, 2011
Source: Thanks NetGalley and Publisher!

Summary: In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.


When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.

Review: I liked this book. I didn't love it by any long stretch of the imagination, but I didn't hate it. That much.

When I was reading Die For Me I thought I was reading Twilight. There were just so many similarities that just jumped right off the page at me. It's not that I didn't like Twilight, I'm just over it. I'm not going to list all the similarities because that's not what this review is about.

One thing that annoyed me was Kate. I hated how she and Vincent had case of insta-love. I'm so, so tired of it. It ISN'T REAL! And then Kate told Vincent that she wanted to stay away from him but she just ended up crawling back to him. She had a backbone only some of the time.

And I really didn't like Vincent. He was just too good to be true. He was just like an "Ehh" character for me. But Ambrose and Jules...HOT! They were my favorite characters.

Plum did a great job with her characters. Even though I didn't like a couple it didn't mean they weren't fleshed out. I really appreciated that.

To me the plot sort of dragged, but the ending helped me like it a lot more. And I liked the idea of revenants and....the setting. Oh Paris! *swoon*

All in all a decent debut. I'm still undecided about reading the sequel.

Rating:

If you are wondering why in the world I posted a review today...I need to. I have so many books to review! So there will be Friday reviews from now on.

3 comments:

tthepageturner said...

I totally agree with you about it being similar to Twilight. I also didn't hate this book, but I can't say I really liked it either.

Great review. :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Great review and I completely agree. It was an entertaining book, mostly because I liked how she captured Paris, but the whole love story was kind of weak and I didn't really like the main characters. *le sigh* (haha--French sigh! Yes, I amuse myself.)
Happy reading,
Mary @ Book Swarm

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. I loved this book. Probably because it was so similar to Twilight. What really made it stand out where the side characters like Jules and Ambrose. The revenant family reminded me of the Cullens.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater