Monday, June 27, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: June 14, 2011
Source: Bought

Summary: One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


Review: I'm not even sure where to begin this review! I just love Hourglass so, so much!

Emerson was just a ton of fun. She was strong and snarky but she was also going through a ton of crap. I felt for her. So much that I felt like I knew Emerson. She could be so brave and selfless but then she was vulnerable and scared. She was extremely well written.

One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is time travel. I would lurve to time travel! But since that isn't quite possible I'm so glad that I have authors like Myra McEntire there to help me experience it by reading. And she did a fantastic job. If you really want to know what it is...highlight! I didn't want to spoil things too much.

I was captivated from, seriously, page two. There was this amazingly snarky line. It has to do with Gone With the Wind if you're wondering. And I was never let go. Even as I read the last word. Emerson and her story manage to saunter right into my brain on the right occasion.

There were also two amazing love interests. And here I thought this story couldn't get any better!! I loved both of them. I really can't pick but there is this boy whose name starts with an M that I have a certain draw to. Swoon!

Before I wrap up this review I'd like to mention one thing that made me so, so happy. Many of you probably just skipped over it. I didn't. Michael and Emerson love the Red Sox. Which is a baseball team, if you didn't know. Katie loves them more than time travel. And now that is saying something.

A perfect book.

Rating: 5+++

3 comments:

Kristina said...

I can not wait anymore to read this book! I MUST read it next!! I keep reading amazing reviews about it. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Lisa said...

I love that you picked out something as small as the baseball team the characters loved. I think the small details really make a story great and give us something to connect to.

Lauren M said...

Yay! I absolutely LOVED Hourglass. Emerson was an incredibly fun narrator! And those love interests! *swoon*

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater