Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

Title: The Boyfriend List
Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte
Publication Date: March 22, 2005
Source: Library

Summary: Ruby Oliver is 15 and has a shrink. She knows it's unusual, but give her a break—she's had a rough 10 days. In the past 10 days she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
* got caught by her mom (ag!)
* had a panic attack (scary)
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* and had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!).

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

Review: The Boyfriend List was just plain hilarious. I can't count all the times a laughed or giggled aloud.


Ruby Oliver was seriously relatable. She was funny, of course, and she had the greatest voice. So fresh and she was dealing with such real problems. I felt for Roo! I don't know why but she was just so, so special. And so well written.

There really isn't much of a "plot" but it kept my interest the whole way through the book. I absolutely devoured it. I'm just about the slowest reader of all time, well not that slow, and I just couldn't stop reading it! My attention never strayed. It was filled with hilarious situations and real life things that matter.

I wish I could say more about how amazing this book was. How real and actually touching. Just read it.
Rating:

3 comments:

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Oh, yay! I do love a funny book, especially in the summertime. There's just something about reading lighter fare and hanging out in the sun...
Thanks for the review!
Happy reading,
Mary @ Book Swarm

Lauren M said...

I've been wanting to read this book for the longest time! The Boyfriend List sounds absolutely amazing. I love quirky heroines! :)

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

oo this sounds ace! I must get it! :D

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater