Thursday, June 23, 2011
Author: E. Lockhart
Publication Date: March 22, 2005
Summary: Ruby Oliver is 15 and has a shrink. She knows it's unusual, but give her a break—she's had a rough 10 days. In the past 10 days she:
* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
* got caught by her mom (ag!)
* had a panic attack (scary)
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* and had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!).
But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
Review: The Boyfriend List was just plain hilarious. I can't count all the times a laughed or giggled aloud.
Ruby Oliver was seriously relatable. She was funny, of course, and she had the greatest voice. So fresh and she was dealing with such real problems. I felt for Roo! I don't know why but she was just so, so special. And so well written.
There really isn't much of a "plot" but it kept my interest the whole way through the book. I absolutely devoured it. I'm just about the slowest reader of all time, well not that slow, and I just couldn't stop reading it! My attention never strayed. It was filled with hilarious situations and real life things that matter.
I wish I could say more about how amazing this book was. How real and actually touching. Just read it.