Thursday, June 9, 2011

Winterborne by Augusta Blythe

Title: Winterborne
Author: Augusta Blythe
Source: Received for review from author*

Summary: Sixteen-year old Mia Winterborne is destined to be special. Details are sketchy, though, as her dad disappeared with all the answers when she was five. Mia only knows that she will inherit her superpowers on her seventeenth birthday. Helping Mia prepare for her anticipated ascendancy is Loie Bryce, her best friend and eternal sidekick extraordinaire. The girls' intense friendship has never wavered until now, when Andreas arrives in Salcey Ridge. They both fall hard for the British hottie, who quickly becomes a fixture in their lives. When they discover that Andreas is not who he appears to be, the frightening reality of Mia's powers finally hits home. The nearer Mia's birthday draws, the more the danger escalates and long-buried lies are exposed, putting the girls on a path that they never expected.

Review: I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I picked up Winterborne. But I really never expected something this good!

I actually thought this would be narrated by Mia instead of Loie. But it was really enjoyable to have Loie as a narrator. She was really a sweet girl that cared about her friend. Although she did live in Mia's shadow and that sort of annoyed me, I got it. And a random fact: I really like the name Loie! I ended up connecting easily to Loie, while she was shy and living in a shadow she could also be a really funny, great person! And I admired that.

Andreas was a pretty good character also. He seemed like your typical nice guy, that was just mysterious. He and Mia did annoy me a tad. Especially Mia, she treated Loie nicely but was just so overpowering!

One of my favorite things was that fantasy elements! It was so much fun to read and learn about. And while it wasn't terribly original I enjoyed Blythe's take on it. 

I really liked how things played out in the end, it was so much fun and so interesting to see how things ended!

With a good main character and some great fantasy elements, Winterborne is a great book!

Rating: 4.5
*I received this from the author for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion and the honesty of this review.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Winterborne sounds really good, I'll have to check it out! I'm also reading Bumped at the moment, and I like it. How about you? :)

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

This is a new one for me, but it looks so cute! Thanks for the review!

Cait said...

Great review! I've got this and it sounds really good but I haven't read it yet. Definitely looking forward to it after seeing this!!

Feel free to link your review up to my new review-based blog hop 'Review Appreciation Day' here

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Huh. Haven't heard of this one but it sounds really good. Gonna have to check it out...thanks for the review!
Mary @ Book Swarm

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I wasn't sure if this one was for me either, but it sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!

Amy said...

Not heard of this either. The cover is really intriguing. Sounds amazing. Great review.

Also nice blog!

Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

http://amysadumbrations.blogspot.com/2011/06/blood-red-road-review.html

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater