Thursday, June 16, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson

Title: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Source: Simon and Schuster Galley Grab

Summary: Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.


But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Review: I'm not exactly sure what to think of this book. It was pretty crazy and very hard to follow.

But first let me talk about the very good things: the characters! While at times Violet seemed rash and didn't make much sense in her decisions. But she was really funny and it was extremely funny to follow her and listen to her snark. Zenn was, well, weird. I was confused about him for most of the book. Not sure what to think or believe about him. The person the drove me crazy was Jag. He made me want to tear my hair out. He was just as random as Vi and ahhh!!!! He and Vi also had a case of insta-love. Which therefore made me dislike him. A lot. But a have to admit sometimes her could be memorable.

And for the plot, now that was all over the place. On minute they were running from the bad people, the next they were making out, WOW we have to go, we might get caught, we're safe now. Let me pick up a deadly cellphone. Maybe it didn't happen quite like that but pretty darn close. I was pretty much confused. It wasn't twisty and full of turns. It was just confusing. Have I said that it was crazy??

The world Johnson created was pretty unique. And it seemed like it had a lot of thought put into it.  You could tell that it, it was extremely unique. If not crazy.

If you are looking for a crazy book, that can at times be confusing but good and interesting with nice snarky characters and a nice romance, then this is the book for you!*

Rating:

*I apologize sincerely if this review was all over the place and hard to follow. I typed it in a mad fury. Sorry but I don't think it's all that bad. Just crazy. ;)

Part of RAD, hosted by The Cait Files. Review Appreciation Day!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I had trouble following the plot of this one as well! I think at one point I just stopped trying to understand and just went with it because my head was hurting:) I really enjoyed Vi and Jag though!

Tristan said...

It does sounds crazy haha, i'll still be picking this one up though. I just love the cover a butterfly in an ice cube? It's intriguing to say the least. Great RAD!!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Hey, your review worked! And I agree with you--it was pretty hard to follow. In fact, I haven't written my review on it yet because I'm having a hard time putting what I thought about it into words. Still, overall, I liked it well enough.
Happy Reading!
Mary @ Book Swarm

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I agree, this book was very confusing at times! The plot was interesting, just very confusing. lol :) I love your review!

Lahni @ Nose in a Book said...

I'm so glad to read this review - I've just read a whole bunch of reviews that said it was awesome and I just didn't get that. I was so confused most of the time, the plot didn't make a lot of sense but I definfitely thought it had potential - I think it just needed some SERIOUS editing!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater