Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Title: Bumped
Author: Megan McCafferty
Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Publication Date: April 26, 2011
Source: Thanks NetGalley and Publisher!

Summary: When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food.


Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in Goodside, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.


Review: Bumped is unique. Really, really, really unique. And definitely not what a was expecting!

The idea of Bumped, in my opinion, is a little weird. I mean I guess it could happen but it seems unlikely. But McCafferty pulled it off realistically! And, believe me, I was super relived by this. She writes a great world that makes you actually think that this could happen some day. It was really amazing.

Melody and Harmony. The two identical twins that narrate the story. At the beginning I didn't like either of them. If I had to pick one it'd be Melody. She seemed more relatable more interesting. And Harmony seemed annoying. But she did grow on me and I appreciated her as a character.

In a lot of reviews I've read people say that they had a hard time being thrown into the world and all its slang. I didn't have this problem. I understood most of it. Maybe it has something to do with being younger...!

The thing I didn't like was that I felt Christianity was made fun of. Maybe it wasn't exactly Christianity that the people on the Goodside practiced. But it felt like it was. It was kind of insulting.

The plot of Bumped was quite riveting. I was drawn along and I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel in this very unique world!

Rating:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

*chants* must read this must read this must read this hehe

Ps I'm a new follower

Elodie said...

I'm glad you liked this book =) !! The reviews I've read were rather negative but I still wanted to read the book .. and after knowing what you think of it I definitely want to buy it !!
Thanks Katie ;)

Kristina said...

I really enjoyed this book and I didn't have a problem with the slang either. I thought it added to the story. I'm really excited for the second book!

It was very weird to think about this society that promoted teen pregnancy and young girls would wear shirts that said "born to breed".

Great review!

New follower :)

Kristina
http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/

Lauren M said...

I really enjoyed Bumped, too! I'm not sure that McCafferty actually believes the society of Bumped is something that will develop in the future--I think it's more of an exaggeration of our current society. Either way, I absolutely loved it!
Great review. :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater