Monday, June 13, 2011

The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

Title: The Magnolia League
Author: Katie Crouch
Publisher: Poppy
Publication Date: May 3, 2011
Source: Thanks NetGalley and Publisher!

Summary: After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?


As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city.


Review: It'd be an understatement to say I'm a little perplexed by this book. I'm pretty confused. As was the book and the way I feel about it.

I was really excited to start The Magnolia League. It looked really good, and with the hoodoo aspect of the story I was really excited to start reading!

But sadly my expectations were not met. The book was not bad, but it wasn't anything spectacular either. I did end up enjoying the Hoodoo aspect of The Magnolia League though. It was well explained and well thought through. It probably ended up being the best part of the book.

The Magnolia League got off to a slow and boring start. Nothing really happened and I'd have to say the plot didn't pick up until the book was almost over. Maybe one of those reasons was because Alex wasn't my favorite character ever. She was a little annoying and for being quite set in her ways, presumably, she sure changed real quick. As for a love interest there was one. And a pretty cute one too!

The Magnolia League (the actual league) was just snobbish! They pretty much drove me crazy, with the exception of Alex's friends.

The ending did leave me wanting for more though. And I was so glad for that!!

With a great concept of Hoodoo, a semi-likable plot and characters and one sweet love interest The Magnolia League was a fun read, but not the best ever.

Rating:

2 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I read this a while back, and pretty much feel the same way as you. It was an ok read for me. I will read the next book though, just to see what's going to happen! :) Thanks for sharing your review!

Lauren M said...

I felt the same way. The hoodoo aspect was really interesting, but the plot was just okay. Alex was a bit confusing as a character, too--I just couldn't buy that she'd fall prey to the Magnolia's power so easily. *shrug* Great review! :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater