Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Luxe

Hi
It is Thursday! Almost Friday! There is only 6 hours left of Thursday! That math took me a little long to do! LOL, just kidding, just kidding, I am like a whiz at Math and Algebra, no joke!
But anyway, this week well actually from today to Sunday, I am reviewing all The Luxe book by Anna Godbersen in honor of the release of her new series, Bright Young Things releasing October 12! I also did the same thing with Linda Gerber's Death by Series!

Title: The Luxe

Author: Anna Godbersen

Rating: 5 stars

Review: Elizabeth and Diana Holland live in 1899 in New York City and are the talk of the town. Elizabeth is a demure girl, who is considered the best "mate" to catch, while Diana is entirely rambunctious and does not follow the rules. So when The Holland's find that they are in loads of debt, Elizabeth and even Diana are willing to do almost anything to save their family's precious reputation. Even if it means marrying someone who they despise, leaving behind your true love, or facing off with one of the meanest socialites. And it could even mean death.

From the moment I saw the beautiful cover on the front of The Luxe, I knew I was in love.

First of all, isn't the dress on the cover to die for!? So huge and so pink! Now let's get onto the content.

I love historical fiction, mystery and romance so that was probably one of the reasons I picked it up in the first place, other than the cover of course. I was thoroughly surprised that the content behind the beautiful cover was actually worth reading! It is sort of a Gossip Girly type story, even though I have never read those, but with much more meaning. It talks about the struggles of being high up on the social ladder, which can relate to today, as many of the themes can. It also talked about true love and lengths people would go to save their families and not ruin a reputation. And trust me the characters in this novel go along way!

The characters were, in my opinion, spectacular! I didn't seem to have a favorite one though. My favorite girl was Elizabeth though and my favorite male character was, of course, Will, the stable boy. All the characters were nicely fleshed out and all had plenty of room of development in later novels in the series. Diana was incredibly spunky and she is, apparently not afraid of anything.  Elizabeth was gentle and sweet and I felt sorry for her, but sometimes she could be a snob. Henry was just a player, and Penelope was disgusting and terribly mean. I don't feel sorry for her at all!

I really like the ending, it was good for a debut novel and I liked the way everything played out at the end!

Tomorrow: Rumors!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater