Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Title: Sweet Venom
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: September 6, 2011
Source: Bought
Add to your shelf!


Summary: Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster. 

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though. 

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters. 

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.
Review: Sweet Venom is an adorable read. But the thing that grabbed me was the monsters and the revamped mythology!

Grace, Gretchen and Greer are three very different girls, despite being triplets. They all have their different perspectives which I liked but then sometimes disliked. I loved how I got into each different head because the girls are just so different. But I did not like how similar the perspectives were but how different the characters were, if that makes any sense. I like books with one or two perspectives. Three is pushing it a little because it is so hard to differentiate between the writing and the voice. Childs did a good job, though.

What I did like was the love interests. They don't play a huge role in the book but I'm super curious about all of them! I liked how Sweet Venom just didn't focus on the romance. The subject was just broached. And then there's Grace's brother, Thane. That boy is intriguing!

The mythology was, by far, the best part of the book for me. I loved how Childs made it her own and totally rethought it. That aspect of the book was definitely awesome. Plus, there's all different kinds of monsters!

The plot was a little hard to get into in the beginning but after awhile I got into the flow of things and polished this book off in no time. Once the action starts, it really doesn't stop.


Sweet Venom exceeded in being a cute, fun read with some great new mythology. I'd recommend this, especially if you love new takes on mythology!

Rating: 

4 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I thought this was a really cute read as well! I definitely understand what you mean about the similar perspectives. I can't wait to check out the next book in the series. I hope it's great!

Lisa said...

Greek mythology retellings seem to be pretty hit or miss with me. Some I love and some just seem to fall flat.

Sweet Venom does sounds really interesting, especially with all the different monsters.

Lauren M said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this one! Now that I hear that the mythology is awesome, I'm even more excited! Great review, Katie. :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Loved the mythology...and the characters...and the non-romance focus! A very cute book. Looking forward to the next installment.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater