Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Walker & Company
Publication Date: Januaray 17, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Walker!
Add to your shelf!


Summary: Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine 

—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it? 

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening? 

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.


Review: Fracture is both stunning and intriguing. There's a mix of both light and dark moments in the book but my favorite was the one that occurred most often. The dark. 


Delaney has been under the water for 11 minutes. Just the fact that she could have survived surprised me. There is a little bit of science to Fracture making it more scientific than a paranormal read. This was an aspect that I loved. 


Delaney, herself, is an admirable character. She has been through more than I can even imagine. Her ability is what really drew me to her, though. Delaney definitely wants to do good with it and I admire that. Decker is such a sweet guy! Decker is not perfect in anyway but that just made him even more realistic. Troy, in my mind, is an enigma. He was so dang mysterious and I was constantly trying to figure him out. 


The only thing that I disliked, well I hardly disliked it, was the lack of closure in Delaney's relationships. I think I just wanted a little bit more. 


Lastly, I want to note on the cover. I'm so in love with it. I think that it captures the book perfectly. The snowy forest in the back for a harsh Maine winter, down to Delaney's red jacket. 


Fracture definitely managed to surprise me. The plot and the science involved kept me hooked the entire time. This is the perfect read if you're looking for something new in YA. I know that I'm definitely looking forward to more from Miranda!


Rating: 4.5 stars

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to read this one. You are right...the cover is simply stunning!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I've heard wildly varying reviews on this one, which just makes me want to read it, so I can check it out for myself. Plus, I like your taste in books so I'm thinking I'll probably like this one.

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I really enjoyed the darker aspect of this book as well. It definitely kept me intrigued. :) Decker was a sweet guy, but sometimes I wanted to smack him in the head for not being there for Delaney!

Another great review, Katie!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater