Thursday, January 5, 2012

Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Title: Still Waters
Author: Emma Carlson Berne
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: December 20, 2011
Source: Bought
Add to your shelf


Summary: Hannah can't wait to sneak off for a romantic weekend with her boyfriend, Colin. He’s leaving for college soon, and Hannah wants their trip to the lake house to be one they’ll never forget.
But once Hannah and Colin get there, things start to seem a bit...off. They can't find the town on any map. The house they are staying in looks as if someone's been living there, even though it's been deserted for years. And Colin doesn’t seem quite himself. As he grows more unstable, Hannah worries about Colin’s dark side, and her own safety.
Nothing is as perfect as it seems, and what lies beneath may haunt her forever.

Review: Still Waters is definitely a creepy book. It manages to be creepy but at the same time was fascinating.

Hannah was a character that I really liked. It took me a while to warm up to her but after awhile I was rooting her own, hoping that she could get out of her situation alive. Yes, there are tons of life and death situations in Still Waters. Colin was a crazy character. I think that's all I'm going to say about him. He and Hannah make a great couple when he wasn't acting really weird.

At first I thought Still Waters was going to be a lot like Frost by Marianna Baer. Mainly because both characters are living in a creepy old house. But, thankfully, Still Waters has nothing to do with the house, well mostly.

This book is really addictive. I found by self racing through the pages of this very short book because, well, I had to know what happened to the characters. There were some moments in Still Waters where just the plain creepiness drove me to read. It could be a little scary at times, but only a mild scary. It was just creepy.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It was just really abrupt. Something happens and then its just over. One of the characters, not a main one, has this crazy reaction to what happened and it is never explained. The books just ends a few pages later. An epilogue might have been helpful, too. It was just very frustrating because I didn't feel like all the important questions had been answered.

Still Waters is a fascinating read, mainly because it offers a real reason for the craziness of a character and no supernatural aspect is even mentioned. If you want a creepy read that isn't too scary than this is the one for you. I can't wait to see what else Berne does!


Rating: 4 stars

4 comments:

Lauren M said...

I love creepy books, and I especially like addicting ones! It's a bummer about the ending, though; that doesn't sound to appealing! =/ I might still give Still Waters a try, because otherwise it sounds good. Great review, Katie! :)

Lisa said...

I haven't read a creepy book in a while. I remember one I read a long time ago where a group of friends went to a cabin for the weekend and one of the friends went insane. Still Waters reminds me of that.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Creepy? Ooohhhh--I'm intrigued! Been looking for good creepiness since ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD. Abrupt endings aren't the best but I can take it if the rest of the book rocks. One more for the TBR!

Anna said...

Creepy has been a genre that I've read a lot of, glad to hear this one was good!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater