Monday, January 2, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Publisher!
Add to your shelf


Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 

In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.
Review: Cinder is a book that you will want to race through to see what happens to the beloved characters, but at the same time you absolutely want to savor Cinder because: oh my goodness, this book is awesome!

Cinder, the character, was a girl that I immediately loved. She's been through a ton in her life time and yet she is such a sweet girl. Cinder has such a kind heart and it really shows through in her actions. She can also be brave, though, and ready to sacrifice herself for her world.

The other side characters were nicely written, too. I have to admit that I really liked Prince Kai. Sometimes he could be a little frustrating, mostly at the end, but he was just a really cute guy. All of his and Cinder's interactions were such fun and had this cute, little awkward thing going on. Other characters, such as Iko, an android, and Peony, Cinder's sister, really pulled on my heart strings. Both characters were so amazing.

Oh, but then there's the plot! Some of Cinder was a tad bit predictable, truthfully. This hardly affected my reading experience. Cinder is very fast-paced and you almost have to know what happens next. I flew this book but I never wanted it to end, It was just that good! There's also the fact that this is a Cinderella re-imagining where Cinder is a cyborg. I think that makes it even more awesome.

Cinder is a stunning debut. I loved the writing, the characters and the plot.I just love, love, loved it! Add this one to your wishlist, if you haven't already. I said this last year with Unearthly: If all debuts are going to be as awesome and wonderful as this then this is going to be on heck of a year! 


Rating:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad your first 2012 debut turned out to be such a spectacular read! What a great way to start the year!

bookish wonders said...

awesome review!
this book sounds amazing, and the cover is so gorgeous and different.

Lauren M said...

I instantly fell in love with Cinder, too! She's such a great character that you can't help but root for her! :) I loved the characters in general: you're right about them all being interesting and well developed. Great review, Katie!

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I am dying to read this book! I have heard nothing but good things about it. :) I think my e-galley has expired, but my library does have it on order, so maybe I can check it out soon! :) Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater