Monday, January 9, 2012

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Title: Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Source: Bought
Add to your shelf


Summary: Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

Review: Blood Red Road is more than a just book. This book has me going crazy; I just love it SO much.

Saba, the main character, is this strong and sassy heroine who is stubborner than the day is long. I just loved her so much. Saba has so much determination and during the book I was always rooting for her. Saba puts all other strong heroines to shame because what she goes through it so intense and so scary that only someone like Saba could survive it.

There are so many other characters that I came to love just as much as I love our main character. There's Emmi, Saba's younger sister, who starts the book off a barely there girl but becomes so much stronger and braver as the book progresses. There's also Jack. Jack is a super sweet guy, though, I doubt he'd want to be called sweet. He and Saba make such a great team. Jack just melts my heart. I can't wait to see more of him in the upcoming books in this series.

The plot of this book is what had be hooked from the beginning. Blood Red Road never has a dull moment. Every single page is filled to the brim with excitement and danger. For being a lengthy book, Blood Red Road never slows, but just keeps picking up pace as Saba's story unfolds.

Blood Red Road has the uniquest style of writing I've seen in a long time. There are no quotations marks, no grammar and just about every word is spelled wrong. I LOVED it! It takes a little while to adjust to but after awhile the writing becomes just one more amazing thing in a great book.

Blood Red Road is most definitely epic. If you haven't read this one, do it now because there is nothing about this book that I didn't like. Blood Red Road succeeded in becoming a new favorite for me to obsess over.


Rating: Way more than 5 stars!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear you loved this book. I did too! I agree that you can't help but love the side characters too. The Free Hawks were my heros!

Lauren M said...

Oh, man, I loved Blood Red Road to death! Your review is making me want to read it all over again! :p I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Katie. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh this sounds AMAZING!

Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

OMG--I ADORED this book. And, while the writing style did take a while to get used to (can you imagine the query letter of that one? wonder what the agent thought), I think it made the book flow even faster. SO AMAZING!

Saba said...

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehee. it would b so weird to read my name all over this book... lol :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater