Friday, October 21, 2011

What to Read (5)

Hi all! Welcome to my new "thing" What to Read!

What to Read is a little post I'll do every Friday. It was started when a commenter asked me what my favorite Civil War books are. Obviously, I can't feature Civil War books each week but I can to a new topic...and this week's topic is:

CUTE, FEEL-GOOD BOOKS THAT HAVE A DEEPER MEANING
Yes, we have a long topic today. To me there are the books that are really cute and all fluffy (usually not too good of a read) and the serious ones that make you want to sob. Big difference, don't you think? But I do think that there are some book that combine a little bit of both, like the topic suggests. And without further ado, here are my picks!

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.  A road trip book! What can be cuter than this? It was so cute and romantic. The characters are dealing with serious things, though. Instead of just taking away all the road trip fun you can also connect to all the things the characters are going through.

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gerhman is a super funny book. It has the most hilarious one liners ever. I do feel like there is a little bit of a deeper meaning.

Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. Perkins is a master at telling a cute love story but she also combines all the heartaches that come with it. Anna and Lola are two very memorable reads. It isn't all cuteness.


Past Perfect by Leila Sales has a truly hilarious concept, a war between reenactment camps. But it also dives into learning from the past and not living in your past.

The Ghost and the Goth series by Stacy Kade. These books are downright hilarious. Since Alona, a main character, is a ghost and still stuck here, on earth, she has a lot to learn about kindness and being a better person.


Flawless by Lara Chapman is adorable. Yet there's a lot of talk about what exactly is beauty and if people do judge you on your inside or your outside. It still manges to make you smile.

That's it for me!

Do you like your books with cuteness yet substance? All cute? Or all serious?

 

2 comments:

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Some awesome picks (I've got to read Past Perfect). Can I add SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD by Lindsey Leavitt? So cute. So good.

Lisa said...

I love Anna and Past Perfect. You are right they are super cute books, but have an underlying meaning. Great choices!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater