Monday, October 3, 2011

Eve by Anna Carey

Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: October 4, 2011
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Harper!

Summary: The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life


Review: Eve was quite the interesting dystopian. While it wasn't the best it was still a totally engaging read.
Eve, the character, was, well, not very interesting and it took me forever to warm up to her. Caleb, the love interest, was a little better but I mostly enjoyed some other secondary characters. Mainly the little boys at Caleb's home and Arden, Eve's friend. Both were characters I loved.

The plot, while a little typical, was quite addicting. I was so curious about Eve's world and I just soaked up everything we got to learn about it. I love the idea of men being this awful creatures. Which I realize sounds odd but it was a really cool idea that was nicely executed!

I enjoyed the end of the story so much more than the start. There was so much more action and I even grew to like the characters.

I LOVED the ending. It was a cliffhanger of sorts but it was a huge twist in the plot that I didn't expect at all. I really can't wait for the second book.

Overall, Eve is a great as a dystopian but in other aspects, like characters, it lacked. Never less, I think this book will be enjoyed by quite a few readers.

Rating: 3.5 stars

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm extremely curious now what happens when they graduate. I love when books hook you just from the summary. It's too bad that the characters were lacking. I always have a hard time liking a book if I don't connect with the characters.

Katie said...

I really liked this book and I thought the ending was clever, so I'm glad you liked it. A lot of people have gave it bad reviews because of the ending.

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

This is the second review I have read today for this book that says the main character is hard to connect with. o.O I still have this on my nook to read, and will be starting it soon. Thanks for the review!

Lauren M said...

I definitely agree about the addictive nature of the story! Eve was really hard to put down! :P But yeah, the characters didn't quite do it for me. *shrug* Thanks for the review, Katie!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Yeah, took me a while to warm up to Eve, too. And the ending was quite interesting. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater