Monday, October 10, 2011

Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Title: Tris and Izzie
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: October 11, 2011
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Egmont!

Summary: A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

Review: Tris and Izzie was definitely an interesting read.

I'm going to be honest and tell you that I really, really didn't like this book. I borderline hated it.

For starters the characters didn't work for me. Izzie had the narration of a 10 year-old. Her thoughts were not complex and neither was the writing. I have no problem with simple writing but this wasn't even simple it was something else entirely.

The romance between Tris and Izzie was there but it still felt so forced. I couldn't understand why they'd even like each other, even with the "love potion." I had an even bigger problem with the romance at the end after some things are revealed. Sorry if I'm being vague but I don't want to spoil the end.

I'm not overly familiar with the myth of Tristan and Isolde but this didn't really seem like it at all from what I researched on the Internet. It felt like a cheap version of events.

There are some big twists at the end that I didn't see coming and I appreciated that.

I don't want to tell you not to read Tris and Izzie, but I think this one would be better left on the bookstore shelf.

Rating:

3 comments:

Lauren M said...

Yikes! I've heard pretty much only bad things about this book, which is unfortunate. Sorry that you didn't enjoy it! :( I'll definitely be skipping Tris & Izzie.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Poor book with such a pretty cover. Like Lauren, I've heard nothing but not-at-all-good reviews for it. But then, I've never been a huge fan of the Tristan and Isolde story. Sorry you weren't a fan. Hate when that happens!

Netherland said...

I was excited to read Tris and Izzie because I'm really interested in Arthurian legends and I like retellings of myth, legends, and fairytales. When I heard about this modern retelling of the legend of Tristan and Isolde, I was all over it. Unfortunately, this book was a waste of my time. The author has taken a fascinating, compelling legend and reduced to a bunch of unlikable teenagers behaving badly.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater