Monday, October 31, 2011

Frost by Marianna Baer

Title: Frost
Author: Marianna Baer
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Publication Date: September 13, 2011
Source: Bought Nook Book


Summary: Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?


Review: Frost is a thrilling tale that combines the supernatural with some psychological elements. And like the blurb states, which one makes you feel better?

From the instant Leena's narration popped up on the page I knew that I was in for something. Something awesome or something scary, I couldn't tell. I can tell you now that Frost is both frightening and pretty awesome. To me Leena made the story even spookier than it could have been. She has a great narration, though at times you aren't sure what is real...and what is. I wasn't sure if I could ever trust Leena but I did like her as a character.

I love being scared. I'm scared of just about everything but in books I have some semblance of fun at being scared. Frost wholly succeeded in quenching my desire for being scared. With Frost House, or was it really Frost House, throwing things around, burning, and an intense closet connection; it was just awesome! I'm not going to say anything more about that, though!

The secondary characters were all interesting people. I found myself frustrated at many of them. Abby and Viv, Leena's friends, annoyed me. They just weren't there for Leena when they should have been. Celeste was an interesting person who I ended up enjoying. She was a tad eccentric and just a little crazy. But then again Leena could be crazy as well.

Overall, Frost is a wonderful book to read as this Halloween season comes to a close. It gives you the choice with what you want to believe around Frost House and whether you trust the characters within the book. Frost is one creepy book.


Rating:
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

3 comments:

Lauren M said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed Frost! I really liked how creepy it was, too. Great review, Katie! :)

Lisa said...

This book sounds really mysterious and spooky. What a great Halloween read! Celeste sounds like a fun character to get to know. I like slightly crazy and eccentric.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I've heard some great stuff about this book -- I really need to get my hands on it. Enjoying the spooky vibe lately (is it just because of Halloween?).

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater