Friday, October 14, 2011

What to Read (4)

Hi all! Welcome to my new "thing" What to Read!

What to Read is a little post I'll do every Friday. It was started when a commenter asked me what my favorite Civil War books are. Obviously, I can't feature Civil War books each week but I can to a new topic...and this week's topic is:

NOT REALLY A TOPIC!
But instead I'm doing LOVE TRIANGLES
Love 'em, hate 'em...whatever your view is, feel free to share them. Love triangles seemed to dominate YA for the last couple of years...is this trend going to stay? I for one prefer one main love interest. That's not to say that there are not some very well done ones.

I'm going to share my favorite love triangle books....and then my not so favorite ones.

FAVORITE:
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa...the love triangle in this wasn't really a love triangle. Never less it was still well done. Both love interests were well written making this my favorite love triangle.

The I don't know what this series is called by Andrea Cremer. I LOVE these books and I LOVE the love interests. I can't get enough of both of them. Well, mainly Ren.


Wither by Lauren DeStefano had a really unique love triangle. DeStefano made me connect with both boys and I'm not quite sure who deserves Rhine, the main character.

LEAST FAVORITE LOVE TRIANGLES:
Some of these books I love, just not the love triangle aspect.

I love, love, love!!! Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. The love triangle aspect between Tucker and Christian? Not so much. It wasn't super defined in the Unearthly but I know it will come out more in Hallowed, the second book. Why couldn't it just be Tucker? That would take away from the story but still, it's Tucker.

The Wings series by Aprilynne Pike just annoys me. The books are great but the two love interests...are iffy for me. Nothing makes me fall for the two boys. This doesn't not bode well for the series on my love triangle meter. I will have a review up for Illusions next week!

The Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I do like this series, I really do, yet the love triangle isn't really even a love triangle. It's more you are supposed to be with this one yet...(fill in the blank.)
I haven't read Passion yet so I can't really say that the love triangle is more defined.

I suppose it looks like I love the love triangles more than I hate them. That's not true. I'm tired of love triangles. I want one boy, just ONE! I hope this trend goes away quickly.

I did tend to stay away from books that I dislike that also feature the triangle.

Happy Reading!


 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I do like love triangles if they are done well. Though I have to admit I'm a really sore loser if my "Team" doesn't win.

I don't like the love triangle in Nightshade just for the fact I don't like Shay...not even a little bit. I'm team Ren all the way.

As for Unearthly, I'm a huge Tucker fan and I don't like the interference from Christian. I agree that this one shouldn't be a love triangle...it should just be Tucker.

Lauren M said...

I really liked the romance in Unearthly! Though I do agree that one of the guys really never stood a chance. :P
This is a great feature, Katie; thanks! :)

(P.S. I love the new blog design!)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

For the most part, I'm not a love triangle fan because many seem forced, as if the author said, "Hum, I need more tension. Oh, let's throw in another guy and make him bad!"

But the ones you picked as faves--yep, those were very well done and I loved them!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater