Thursday, April 12, 2012

Speed Date with Ethan: Dead to You by Lisa McMann

Hi everyone, toady I'm doing something a little bit different. I'm participating in a thing called Speed Dating-with reviews. It's hosted by Mary over at The Book Swarm. The purpose is to tell your thoughts about the book in about 150 words. I think it's a fantastic idea! Go check out her blog to participate. 


Title: Dead to You
Author: Lisa McMann
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: Febuary 7, 2012
Source: Library
Add to your shelves 


Summary: Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was just seven years old. Now, at sixteen, he has returned to his family. It's a miracle... at first. Then the tensions start to build. His reintroduction to his old life isn't going smoothly, and his family is tearing apart all over again. If only Ethan could remember something, anything, about his life before, he'd be able to put the pieces back together. But there's something that's keeping his memory blocked. Something unspeakable... 


Review: I've read most of Lisa McMann's books and I loved them. I didn't quite love Dead to You but it was still a suspenseful read that I enjoyed.


My main two complaints are the character development and the predictability of the plot. While I loved Ethan as a character, I didn't feel like he changed much through out the story nor did any of the other characters. His parents and other family, with the exception of Gracie, were a tad one-sided and I wish I could have known them better. 


One thing I did enjoy was the romance. It was a little quick but perfectly believable for this kind of story. I loved it!


I loved the concept of Dead to You but I found it a tad bit predictable. I'd heard the ending was crazy but it wasn't quite as epic I was expecting. 


Dead To You definitely ends on an unexpected note but it doesn't quite make it with the characters. Though, I will gladly read anything by McMann!


Rating: 3.5 stars



3 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree that it's very important for characters to grow throughout the story. If they just stay the same then I don't feel like anything is accomplished.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Yeah, you're right about Ethan not changing. I chalked that up to his loss of memory over what was really going on, since he was trying to "find" himself. But the ending really had me. Don't know why but I really wasn't expecting *that*. (I'm a simple creature...)

Jenny said...

I'm a sucker for a great romance so despite the predictability, this one still might work really well for me. I haven't read any books by her yet, but she's one of those authors I feel like I really need to try! Awesome review Katie:)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater