Monday, September 5, 2011

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Title: Past Midnight
Author:  Mara Purnhagen
Publisher: Harliquen Teen
Publication Date: September 1, 2010
Source: Bought

SummaryLet me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear.

All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive….


Review: Past Midnight is an awesome fast-paced ghost stories with some ideas that are truly unique to this book.

Purnhagen has the best ideas for ghosts. That is there aren't any ghosts. Well, we don't think they are. I won't spoil Charlotte's ghost hunting parents ideas of them but trust me...the ideas are super clever.

Charlotte, herself, was a great character. I immediately enjoyed reading about her. It doesn't hurt Purnhagen makes her have real problems and actually turns her into a great, developed character. Charlotte is not a dumb heroine which I really appreciated.

There isn't too much romance in this one but I know there is more to come in the second one, since I've already read and loved it! But I really liked how Purnhagen makes Charlotte's relationships with her friends seem real. So if a romance does develop it will seem realistic. The supporting characters were fantastic just like Charlotte!

There were a few times during Past Midnight where I got the shivers. It is by no means "scary" but there are a few spine tingling moments where Katie, who is scared of her own shadow, felt a little spooked.

Past Midnight is a wonderful read that's perfect for the upcoming fall months. If you're looking for a touch of scary and some great characters look no further!

Rating:

5 comments:

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I totally agree, there were definitely some spine tingling moments! It happened to me a lot while reading this book. I actually had a paranormal experience while reading it too! Creepy.

I love this series. I've read the first two books, and the second is awesome as well! I can't wait to read the third.

Books of Amber

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Awesome review! I read this one already and it is amazing! And really the series only gets better! There are 2 novellas you can read before the 2nd and 3rd books, which were just awesome! The 2nd one really gets more intense and dramatic--in a good way and the third was just awesome as well! A great trilogy, which I do believe is all there is to it.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I really liked this one, too! A unique idea, though I do wish it had been more ghost-centric rather than high school (though that was part of her fitting in, I guess).
Mary @BookSwarm

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I really want to read this series, it sounds great! Harlequin has some of the best teen books ever! So glad you enjoyed this!

Lauren M said...

I really liked Purnhagen's take on ghosts, too! Super creative. :) Glad to hear you liked Past Midnight! I enjoyed it as well. Great review!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater