Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Harper Teen!

Summary: On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.

Review: Like so many books I've been reading lately, I have very mixed thoughts about A Beautiful Dark.

Truthfully, nothing really stood out to me. There was some unique angel lore and some cool creation stories but really I can't say that this was anything special. There are many angel books out there and this one just gets lost in the crowd, I'm sad to say.

Skye was almost your stereotypical paranormal romance heroine. She has two strange boys save her and she can do "magical" things! There are some moments when she defies that stereotype but I can count them easily. The boys were nice, both were a little creepy but nice to imagine. If you get my drift.

The storyline didn't have any big twists or OMG moments and I just couldn't get excited about anything.

Overall, I wasn't impressed but it was a semi-okay start to an angel series, one I'm not sure I'll be continuing.

Rating: 2.5 stars

4 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I agree, both boys were a bit on the creepy side. I did like Asher more than Devin though... that boy really did creep me out. :) I agree about the heroine as well.

Great review Katie!

Lauren M said...

Uh-oh, the boys were creepy? Yikes. I've only heard so-so things about A Beautiful Dark; I'm bummed that you didn't enjoy it very much! I have this one on my shelf, but now I'm kind of glad I skipped it. =/

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Oh, that sucks that you couldn't get excited about this one! Hate when that happens. I'd hoped for more with this book. Thanks for the review.

France said...

I love angel stories. The first one I fell in love with was Hush, Hush. Since then, I've read lots of angel stories, some really good and some lacking. This one was a really good one. I really enjoyed the world building. It was slow and peppered with an average seventeen year-olds life. It kept a sense of mystery for quite a while before answers starting falling into place. What I liked was the graying lines between the "angels" and the "fallen angels". As the story progressed, it wasn't really clear which side had humanities best interest at heart.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater