Monday, September 19, 2011

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Title: The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Author: Rae Carson
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Harper Teen!

Summary: Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who needs her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


Review: I was totally surprised by The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

The beginning of the book was a little slow for me and I had a terribly hard time connecting to Elisa and her situation. But after the first couple of chapters I was absolutely addicted!

The Girl of Fire and Thorns enchanted me. The plot and the fantasy elements are what kept me reading but then I came to understand Elisa and was enamored by her character and all the others. Elisa had amazingly strong character development. She turned into a strong warrior type character from a, well, sort of stupid girl. At the end of the book I was amazed by how much I like Elisa.

Speaking of the fantasy elements, they were fantastic! I loved the idea of the God stone and how you were supposed to complete some quest. There is tons of magic that just had me in awe.

And then we have our action and adventure! It was so good, I'm at loss for words. And so was the romance...tons of things happened in that department and I'm curious to see where it goes.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns was an amazing first book by an author you'll want to look out for!

Rating: 4.5 stars

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Sometimes it's hard when a book starts out slow, but it looks like in this case it really worked for the novel. I can't wait to check this one out and I'm glad that the main character grew on you.

Lauren M said...

Oh, man! I've heard nothing but good things about this book! It's sitting right on my shelf, too! Great review, Katie; you're doing a great job of tempting me to forgo my schoolwork to read this book! :P

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

This was such a great book -- an excellent gateway to fantasy. But it did start out a bit slow still, I was drawn into that world from the first paragraph.

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I so loved seeing Elisa change into a different character over the course of the book! I loved this book, it was so good! Glad you enjoyed it as well!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for great info I was looking for this info for my mission.

my blog post ... business and social media

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater