Thursday, September 1, 2011

Flawless by Lara Chapman

Title: Flawless
Author: Lara Chapman
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: May 10, 2011
Source: Library

Summary: Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.


Review: Flawless was just pure awesome. I flew through the book in an entire afternoon and haven't stopped adoring it.

I'd never heard of Cyrano de Bergerac before I read this and I'm still not quite sure what it's about. But retelling or not the concept of Flawless is not something you see often in YA. Flawless is all about your flaws.

Sarah was a great protagonist. She was easy to relate to and it was easy to understand her trauma and her actions over her nose. We all have that thing about yourselves that we hate and for Sarah it's her nose. Which she describes as a beak, and, well, it sounds positively awful. But whenever I pictured Sarah in my mind she didn't have a big nose...she was just an amazing girl that was a literature nerd. There was just something about her and all the rest of the characters that left a big impact on me.

There's also Rock, the love interest of Sarah and the boyfriend of her friend Kristen. I really didn't like Kristen but I didn't hate her. She was doing all these things to get a boy to like her and it wasn't even her. And that annoyed me. Rock was pretty awesome. Sometimes he would get a little cheesy but otherwise he was like Sarah, a huge lit. nerd. How cool is that?!

While reading Flawless I was engrossed the entire time. There was enough action to keep me occupied and I had a great lazy day reading this one!

Flawless is an addictive read about flaws, what beauty is, with romance mixed into it. I adored it.

Rating:

6 comments:

Cicely said...

I really liked this book too! I thought Sarah was great, and I couldn't imagine her with a huge nose either :) Great review! :)

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I'm still waiting for my library to get in a copy of this. I can't wait to read it, it sounds great! Glad you enjoyed it!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Okay, now I've heard enough -- I'm going to have to read it! I really like books that take classics and do a great retelling of them. This one sounds awesome. Thanks for the review!
Mary @ BookSwarm

Lauren M said...

Flawless sounds like such a fun book! I haven't read Cyrano de Bergerac either, so I'm happy to hear you don't have to be familiar with the story to enjoy Flawless. Thanks for the review! :)

Kate Maxwell said...

This sounds like a great story. Just threw it on my TBR pile! I haven't read 'Cyrano' but I have seen 'Roxanne' with Daryl Hannah and Steve Martin which is based on the story of Cyrano de Bergerac. Thanks!

Belgie said...

I really enjoyed many aspects of this modern retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac (with a much happier ending, I might add). The quotes about beauty proceeding each chapter are all lovely, and the many allusions to great literature keeps the novel itself from being too shallow (it is, after all, in a high school setting)! The message about the importance of being yourself is a much needed theme; Lara Chapman's writing is fast paced and engrossing. She does a great job of mixing together a fairly heavy theme with classic literary elements and modern settings that make it very accessible to high schoolers.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater