Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Title: Cold Kiss
Author: Amy Garvey
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Harper!

Summary: When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.

Review: Cold Kiss was a cute, but sad, book that dealt with loss, love and zombies.

I'm a little mixed on my feelings about Cold Kiss. It was a very emotional, heartfelt story a times but it didn't have that spark I wanted with the characters.

Wren was a nice protagonist but I, ultimately, didn't feel anything for her. Sure, I  wanted her to have a happy ending but I had a hard time understanding her motives in parts. The "two" love interests were certainly swoon worthy but didn't really leave an impression.

The plot of Cold Kiss was somewhat meandering yet not boring slow. I did enjoy that aspect and I couldn't wait to see what Wren would do to solve her problems.
The only other thing I wish had been elaborated more on was the magic that Wren and her family had. I also felt like there was a lot going on there with her family that I didn't quite understand.

Overall, Cold Kiss is a heart-warming zombie tale. While it didn't quite work for me, it was still an enjoyable read.
Rating: 3.5 stars

2 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

Gabriel was definitely my favorite character in this book. I found Danny to be just plain creepy! (At least, after she brought him back.) I thought Wren was an interesting character, but I too had a hard time connecting with her at times. I would love to know more about her powers though.

Great review!

Lauren M said...

Cold Kiss definitely caught my eye. It's a shame that you didn't connect with the characters! I'm still planning to give it a go, though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Katie! :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater