Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Title: Wildefire
Author: Karsten Knight
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: July 26, 2011
Source: Simon and Schuster Galley Grab

Summary: Every flame begins with a spark.

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

Review: When I finished this book all I could say was wow. And I'm still saying WOW!

At first I thought Ash and Wildefire were going to be extremely violent. If that first chapter doesn't tell you not to mess with Ash, or her sister Eve, then I don't know what will. Thankfully, though, the "extreme violence" subsided and gave into the awesome tale of Ash and her god and goddess friends.

Like I said before, Ash is not the type of girl you want to mess with. She isn't your typical YA heroine, either. She's not whiny, she is incredibly tough, has some awesome powers that she isn't afraid to use, and I really believe she wants to do the right thing. Did I mention she was tough? Oh and there was a nice little romance going on with one hot park ranger!

There was such a fun mix of mythology in Wildefire. There were sounds of awesome gods and goddess from different cultures to go with the equally amazing supporting characters. They shone, just like Ash.

Another plus to Wildefire was the non-stop action and the adventure. I won't give you too much detail but it was pretty darn awesome. And there was humor. Oh how I love funny books!!

To stop myself from sounding like a broken record of "awesome" and "amazing", (which I think I've already succeeded at doing) I'm telling you you pick up a copy of this today. But watch out, the cliffhanger is a killer. But really awesome. Second book please?

(There I go again....)

Rating: 4.5 stars

4 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I really enjoyed the Mythology in the book! I wish there had been more info on the gods and goddesses, it was awesome to read about them. Mythology seems to be the new 'in' thing now, but it works for me. :) Lovely review!!

Lisa said...

I've heard much amazing things about this novel. I love mythology so I can't wait to read this novel. Plus the author is kind of a cutie...a good looking male is always a plus in my book.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Oh, yay! I can't wait to read this one. And I think it's funny how she's a volcano goddess and her name's Ash. Deliberate? Thanks for the review!

Mary @ Book Swarm

Lauren M said...

I felt the same way! Wildefire was totally addicting, and Ash was hilarious! Great review. :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater