Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Strings Attached by Judy Blundell

Title: Strings Attached
Author: Judy Blundell
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
Source: Bought

Summary: When Kit Corrigan arrives in New York City, she doesn't have much. She's fled from her family in Providence, Rhode Island, and she's broken off her tempestuous relationship with a boy named Billy, who's enlisted in the army.

The city doesn't exactly welcome her with open arms. She gets a bit part as a chorus girl in a Broadway show, but she knows that's not going to last very long. She needs help--and then it comes, from an unexpected source.

Nate Benedict is Billy's father. He's also a lawyer involved in the mob. He makes Kit a deal--he'll give her an apartment and introduce her to a new crowd. All she has to do is keep him informed about Billy . . . and maybe do him a favor every now and then.

Review: What drew me to Strings Attached was the promise of a little drama, romance, a mystery and the mob. I mean who could resit? (Ok maybe a lot of people, but not me!) But I was a little disappointed when I actually read the book.

One of my favorite things, though, was the historical aspect. I felt like I had been transported to the 50's with Kit and the Mob. Strings Attached was chock full of historical tidbits and historical awesomeness. The world was vivid and descriptive. And it almost made me afraid to live in the 50's, especially in New York. They seemed like dangerous times, alright. The atmosphere of Strings Attached was perfect.

Kit was a likable character. I didn't connect to her on every level but I understand her and her actions. I could feel her need and her desire to do things. Billy, Kit's estranged boyfriend, was not a favorite character of mine. He seemed hurtful and not at all what someone like Kit needed. To me there really wasn't a romance and if there could have been it fell flat for me. His father was just as awful. I did, however, enjoy Kit's family, her interactions with her apartment neighbors, especially this one, and fellow show girls.

While there was an aspect of mystery I just feel like Kit put together memories from her head and then figured it out. There were multiple flashbacks, making it somewhat confusing and you had to pay attention to the dates. There was no "searching for clues" and such. I don't know why, but I just thought there would be that!

Strings Attached had great historical aspect, likable characters, and the Mob from the 50's. It fell on a few fronts for me but that didn't stop it from making it an enjoyable, historical read.

Rating:

1 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds like it would be an interesting read. Glad you enjoyed it, despite it's flaws! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater