Monday, July 11, 2011

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Title: Tempest Rising
Author: Tracy Deebs
Publisher: Walker Books
Publication Date: May 10, 2010
Source: Bought

Summary: Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.


Review: Tempest Rising is a hard book for me to put my feelings into words. Sometimes I loved it and was so engrossed, others I was bored. This is my sad attempt to let you know how I felt.

The main problem for me was the beginning. It started out a little slow but it slowly, and thankfully, picked up speed immersing me in the underwater fantasy world of Tempest.

Tempest had a really authentic voice, if not a little whiny. But I was able to picture her troubles and ordeals easily. Tempest was also a very lucky girl, if you don't count scary things in the ocean trying to kill you, she had two very amazing boys vying for her attention and ultimately her love. I was having a hard time choosing between them and was very glad that Tempest made the choice for me!

Tempest Rising is over flowing with unique mythology. Although on some things I found myself wanting more explanation, but with a standalone you can expect that. The underwater world that was created was scary and gruesome, if not extremely cool! I'm pretty sure there aren't many mermaid books out there in YA and this is an awesome addition to the genre.

With awesome surfing scenes, two hot love interests, and a awesome underwater world Tempest Rising is fantastic read!

Rating:

1 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I've had this on my list for a while now, and I'm hoping our library will get it in soon. It does sound like an interesting read! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater