Friday, July 22, 2011

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: December 22, 2009
Source: Bought

Summary:
A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love
A Deadly Secret

Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.

Review: The Dark Divine was an interesting take on werewolves that was based on religion.

In fact, the werewolf aspect was most likely my favorite part of the book. Despain, it seemed, came up with a new and fresh idea for werewolf lore. There was definitely a lot of information about the werewolves in the book but still I'm curious for more.

Grace, sadly, fell flat for me. She seemed like a whiny little girl that couldn't open her eyes and see what was going on around her. And she didn't listen. That annoyed me to no end. Yes, maybe if she had listened there wouldn't have been as much action and drama. But it could have been up somewhere else. Her name even irked me. The Divine's whole religious thing just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm a religious person but it just felt fake and overly cheesy to me. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who felt this way but I noticed it.

Daniel was interesting enough. He definitely was your bad boy with a soft spot inside. And I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

You may think that I hate this book but I don't. The plot and the mythology were enough to string me along, keeping me entertained and interested. If I wasn't trying to yell at the characters. The plot was quick-paced and I had this book finished in no time.

The Dark Divine was a fun book with some new mythology. New developments at the end have be extremely curious. Even though I had some issues with the characters I'm willing to read the next book and see where Despain takes them. Overall, The Dark Divine was a good summer afternoon read!

Rating:

3 comments:

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I read this first one and enjoyed it but it didn't leave me panting for the next books in the series. Great review!
Mary @ Book Swarm

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

I have to find a copy of this: it sounds amazing! :D

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

SO glad to hear you enjoyed this! I really loved this book, and can't wait to start The Lost Saint! Thanks for sharing your review!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater