Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Title: The Vespertine
Author: Saundra Mitchell 
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Publication Date: March 7, 2011
Source: Special Thanks to NetGalley and Harcourt!

Summary: It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.


Review: I really didn't know what to except when I started to read this. Everyone loved this or they hated it. I fell into the former. And reading The Vespertine was one heck of a pleasure.

I loved how Saundra Mitchell wrote, she really got into the time period. I felt like I was reading something from that time. It was amazing. Sure it got a little confusing at times, but the loveliness of it all made up for it!

I loved the characters. Seriously loved them. Amelia was just left me awestruck, Nathanial made my heart pound, Zora made me laugh. They were amazing, and I'm was so sad to see them go once I finished the book. Sometimes you get so attached to characters, that it is hard to finish a book because of it! And this book was no different.

And the twists and turns! That was intense, half of the things that happened I never saw coming!

I'm going to not make this review too long because I don't want to bore you with all my loving words! But, I just want you all to read this book!
Rating:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Zora was my favorite character! I hope there is more of her in the next book :)

I probably wouldn't last very long during that time period...I would get caught kissing a boy and ruin my reputation lol

Logan E. Turner said...

I liked Zora a lot as well. And Nathaniel was so dreamy!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Stopping by on Follow Friday. I think I'm already a Follower. Happy Week-end.

Anne
My Head is Full of Books

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater