Monday, April 11, 2011

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Title: Awaken 
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Publisher: Houghten Mifflin Books
Publication: May 23, 2011
Source: Special Thanks to NetGalley

Summary: Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.


Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

Review: Awaken was a magnificent debut that really opens your eyes to the world of technology and what it could and most likely will do to our society.


Awaken takes place in 2060ish where technology rules the world. People don't even know their own neighbors because they spend all day inside. Maddie's, our main character, father is the head of The Digital School. But Maddie does start to think the world is wrong after awhile, especially once she meets Justin.

Maddie was a really interesting main character. And I mean that in the best way possible! She was vulnerable yet I felt that she was strong and brave. And that she could fight for what she believed in! I also loved Justin. But sometimes he felt like he was too much of an adult. Some of the things he said were a little too philosophical. But it didn't both me that much.

But the romance between Maddie and Justin was just so alive, it flew of the page at you. Seriously even though there was hardly any kissing till the very end of the book. It was very alive.*

There was just something about the plot that had me captivated from the very beginning of the book. It was enthralling and I couldn't put my Nook down! I had to keep flipping those pages* and know what happened with this unique America. It was just so amazing!

Awaken was a really unique debut that was a pleasure to read. I really hope there is a sequel because I want more of Maddie and Justin, and their world!
Rating:


*Ok, I totally feel like an idiot for saying that!
*Well, I guess I wasn't actually flipping the pages, I was touching the pages to make them flip! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater