Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Title: Chain Reaction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker
Publication Date: August 16, 2011
Source: Bought


Summary: Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill. 

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules.
Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge?

Review: Just when I though Simone Elkeles couldn't surprise me anymore, she did. Chain Reaction is another amazing addition to the Perfect Chemistry series.

Luis is a good kid, that's a junkie. But for adrenaline. For some reason I had a hard time getting into him and the love interest, Nikki. At first I was just thought..."ehh Carlos, Alex, Kiara, Brittany are so much better than you two!" But then I got into the stories and I really got into both of their minds. Then Luis, Nikki and I just clicked, as crazy as that sounds. Something happened that made me care for them and hope that they got the outcome that they needed. The characters just came alive, not to sound cheesy or anything.

I haven't mentioned this in any of my other reviews but since all the Fuentes speak Spanish, there is Spanish included in the book. If you don't speak Spanish it might get a little annoying because sometimes you just can't figure out what the boys were saying. I could read and understand everything but if you don't know too much Spanish then you might be a little lost. DO NOT LET THIS STOP YOU FROM READING THE BOOKS! I just wanted everyone to know.

A couple of serious secrets are revealed to Luis in this one. I've got to say, I really didn't see anything coming. Elkeles always surprises me. Her books have the same basic plot line but I still feel like it's a new read every time.

Chain Reaction is just as good as all the previous Perfect Chemistry books. It incorporates the same humor and the same hot romances. You do not want to miss out on these.
Rating:

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I loved that we got to visit Alex, Brittany, Carlos and Kiara a lot in this novel. It felt like my family was returning home when they were in the scenes.

I hard a harder time with Luis and Nikki as well. It wasn't until those big secrets came up that I understood them more.

Lauren M said...

I seriously need to get my hands on the rest of this series! I loved Perfect Chemistry, so I'm glad to hear the second and third books were awesome! :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater