Monday, March 28, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Title: Wither
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: March 22, 2011
Source: Simon and Schuster Galley Grab

Summary: What if you knew exactly when you would die?


Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.

Review: Wither was truly horrifying, but I mean that in the best possible way.


But this horrifying concept of human trafficking was delivered in a great, addictive way.

While I was reading this I could literally feel the mood, I was sucked into it. It made the book more awful, awful concept not book, but it also made the book more real, and much more memorable. I know, for a fact, that I will always remeber this.

I loved being there along with Rhine and her sister wives and watching them fight for themselves and defend themselves. Reading about their everyday life was exciting yet very melancholy because they are prisoners.

Rhine, just by herself was stunning. She was strong and brave, wanting to get away. But she has this vulnerable air, making her real.

I really liked Gabriel, the servant that Rhine grows attached too. And while I knew that Linden was extremely sheltered and stupid in the ways of the world, he still wasn't my favorite.

The ending was, well, bittersweet, if I had to describe it. At least there was no cliffhanger! But I can't wait to see what happens to Rhine!

I wish that I could do this book justice, but sadly a review can't do that!
 
Rating:
 

2 comments:

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I meant to read this when it was on the GalleyGrab last month, but I was up on the fence about it. Now I'm seeing this great review, and wish I would have read it! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it! Great review!!

Liddy said...

Great review!
I really can't wait to read this one, and the cover is so gorgeous!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater