Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harliquen Teen
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley!
Add to your shelves 

Summary: Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.



Review: Kagawa does it again! I waited way too long to read The Immortal Rules. It's a whirlwind of a book that managed to keep me hooked until the very last page.

The single element that struck me the most about The Immortal Rules was the darkness. Things aren't sugar-coated in Allie's world. Sometimes books can get a little too harsh in their subject manner but that never happened during the course of The Immortal Rules. Kagawa knows how to make readers smile as well as write a darker book. 

If you're in the mood for a strong, incredibly fierce heroine then Allie is that girl. There's absolutely nothing about Allie that I dislike. She has flaws but that just endeared her more to me. She a bit spunky which is exactly how I liked my characters. It's also nice when a heroine can defend herself, and Allie can do much more then that. Truthfully, I just love Allie's character!

Allie meets a lot of different people after her transformation into a vampire and there were ones that I absolutely loathed and ones that I was totally in love with. I love when an author can make you feel such a wide range emotions when it comes to side characters.

I thought I was done with vampires but apparently not. The Immortal Rules went way over the top with its originality and creativity. I have never read a book quite like this one, vampire or otherwise. You're offered glimpses into the world before a virus set in and put the vampires on top. I'm always interested in the fall of a society and the history of this one was fantastically written. 

The Immortal Rules has me absolutely invested on this series even though it's the only book! Kagawa is a master story teller and I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next. It's sure to be good.

Rating:

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I really like Allie as well. It took me a while to get into this book but once I did I enjoyed it immensely.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

You really did wait a long time to read this! Of course, I can't say anything because I have some just like that on my shelf... And I thought I was over vamps, too, until The Immortal Rules walked into my life.

Lauren M said...

Oh man, this book! I love it so much!
I thought I was over vamps, too, but then Julie Kagawa had to go and change my mind! That clever lady. :)
Great review, Katie!

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

This book was SO great! I am really glad that you enjoyed it as well. And I definitely agree, it was a lot darker than I expected. Julie really blew me away with this one. :)

Great review!

RuthieLynn said...

Sounds good!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater