Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday's Forgotten Gems: Shadlowland by Meg Cabot (1)

Sometimes I feel like I've missed out on some of the "older" YA books. By older I mean books that were published in the early 2000's. From today on out Friday's will feature older books that can be read by way of a library or to a used books store. This reviews will be a bit shorter then normal, though. They will also not included a star rating. 

Title: Shadlowland
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: November 1, 2000
Source: Library
Add to your shelves 

Summary: There's a hot guy in Susannah Simon's bedroom. Too bad he's a ghost.

Suze is a mediator-a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations.

But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy. There's a ghost with revenge on her mind.and Suze happens to be in the way.


Review: I've never been a huge Meg Cabot fan girl. I think before I read Shadowland I'd read about two of her more current books and wasn't terribly impressed with them. But right now I'm absolutely in love with her older books. 

In Shadowland we meet Suze Simon. I knew from the first page that I would like this girl. She was so snarky in this first installment. Suze is also dealing with some interesting and pressing problems. Her mom has just remarried a man with three other children. Suze promptly refers to the boys as Sleepy, Dopey and Doc. You don't get to know the brothers very well in Shadowland and I could hardly remember what they're real names were. But other then that it was almost comical. 

The other problem? Well, Suze can see dead people and the situations that she gets herself into during this book would be downright funny if it wasn't so serious. The thing I love most about Suze is that she keeps things in perspective, especially when she has a lot on her plate. 

Overall, Shadlowland is a fantastic start to an even better series. Meg Cabot has me hooked with the characters and the fun writing. 

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I've only read her more recent books, Abandon and Underworld, and I really enjoyed those but I've heard from several people that this series is better. I definitely want to give these a try, Suze sounds like a fantastic protagonist!

Have a great weekend Katie!

Lisa said...

I've read a couple of Meg Cabot books and I liked them but wasn't in love.

I'm glad to hear this series is good though. Like Jenny, I've heard her older books are great!

I also really like this Feature! I often forget about all the older books out there when so many new ones are released.

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

OOoooh I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED this series! When paranormal books were sparse this was a series I stumbled upon and loved at first read! Of course my books are way older than this version, I have the ones where she wrote under Jenny Carroll. Then book 5 had a whole new look and was under Meg Cabot--which both threw me off because I was like this is Jenny Carroll's character! And then of course I have book 6 in this cover style but hardcover!

But definitely one of my fave series ever!

Lauren M said...

Oh man, this brings me back! I LOVED this series in middle school. Jesse (that's the ghost's name, right? I don't remember) was SO hot, in my opinion. :P I need to re-read this series! Glad you're enjoying the Mediator series! :)
- Lauren

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

What is it about Meg Cabot? She and her writing just make me happy. While this wasn't my fave series--I did enjoy the premise and couldn't pass it up.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater