Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

Title: Unbreak My Heart
Author: Melissa Walker
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Bloomsbury
Add to your shelves 


Summary: Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to. 


Review: Unbreak My Heart is a fantastic contemporary romance book.  But this book isn't all about romance. It has a much deeper meaning and I loved every minute that I spent reading this book. 


The fact that Unbreak My Heart involves sailing gives it a million points in my book. I'm not a sailor myself but for some odd reason I love reading about ships, sailing, anything nautical and I'm in. I thought Walker did an absolutely fantastic job with sailing aspect of the book. It was realistic and it gave Unbreak My Heart an extra bang that a lot of books don't have. 


The characters are truly what got me in this book. Clem is so fantastic. The pain she went through literally jumped off the page. I grew to care so much about Clem during the book that it was almost a joy to see her grow and change through the course of Unbreak My Heart. Clem wasn't the only character that was multi-dimensional or just plain wonderful, many of the supporting characters were just as great. Clem's sister, Olive, was such a cutie! I felt like I got to know her and many other characters through Walker's unbelievabley good writing.

Of course there's romance, the title suggests that much. The romance in Unbreak My Heart was just what I needed. It was cute, real and it wasn't fast and rushed. James' and Clem's romance was sweet and slow moving. It makes me smile just thinking about it! I don't think romance in books can get much better then the one in this book.

All in all, Unbreak My Heart is a fantastic book that will makes you feel many awesome, heart-warming emotions. Unbreak My Heart has the added nautical aspect but it's so much more special than just that with its awesome characters and romance.


Rating:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear this one goes deeper than just a cute romance. It's always nice when there is a little depth to the story as well. I can't wait to meet Clem!

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I've seen this book around, but yours is the first review I've read for it so far. It sounds like a really great read! So glad you enjoyed it, I'm definitely going to check it out myself. :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I adore sailing--if you ever get the chance to go out with a great sailor, do it. It's so peaceful and beautiful. Love that sailing plays a key roll in this book. That just adds to its appeal.

brandileigh2003 said...

Loved the romance too. Thanks for review.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater