Thursday, May 3, 2012

Speed Date with Em: The Summer my Life Began

Hi everyone, toady I'm doing something a little bit different. I'm participating in a thing called Speed Dating-with reviews. It's hosted by Mary over at The Book Swarm. The purpose is to tell your thoughts about the book in about 150 words. I think it's a fantastic idea! Go check out her blog to participate.


Title: The Summer My Life Began
Author: Shannon Greenland
Publisher: Speak
Publication Date: May 10, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Speak!
Add to your shelves 


Summary: Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time. 


Review: The Summer My Life Began is a cute, very fun-hearted read that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It could be a little cheesy at times and predictable, though.


Em was, like the book, very cute. She didn't have much dimension nor did I connect with her. But she was a fun girl to read about. Her escapades on the island and in the kitchen were fantastic to read about. Now that I loved.

The Summer My Life Began features an adorable romance. I didn't want to think much while reading this book and the romance was perfect for that! I loved the dates that Em and Cade, her love interest, went on.

The overall plot of this one is predictable but one time I was pleasantly surprised. Greenland's writing style is sweet and simple. It was absolutely perfect for this book!

Overall, The Summer My Life Began is the perfect read for a lazy summer day. It has everything from cooking to a sweet romance and a awesome beach setting!


Rating:

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This sounds like the perfect read to start of summer with. I need something light and fun to get in that beach mood. Too bad that the MC didn't have too much dimension. I like to get to know my characters.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Sometimes you don't actually have to connect with a character to like a book. sometimes, it's just the feel of the book. It's rare but can be done. This sounds cute, with the dates and all. Great date! *cheers*

Jenny said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one for what it was Katie! This is actually next on my list, and I'm looking forward to a fun, quick read. I really like predictable and simply entertaining sometimes!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater