Thursday, May 10, 2012

Speed Date with Chloe: Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe

Hi everyone, toady I'm doing something a little bit different. I'm participating in a thing called Speed Dating-with reviews. It's hosted by Mary over at The Book Swarm. The purpose is to tell your thoughts about the book in about 150 words. I think it's a fantastic idea! Go check out her blog to participate.


Title: Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe
Author: Shelley Coriell
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Amulet
Add to your shelves 


Summary: Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home. 


Review: Have you ever read a book that you initially thought you'd hate? This was exactly how I felt about this book. The first 100 or so pages of Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe were just short of boring and tortuous. I almost debated giving up on this book.

I'm so thankful that I stayed with this one. It turned out to be a very awesome book. I'm not quite sure what made me change my mind exactly. Chloe started to grow on me, as did the radio station aspect.

The radio part of this one just was awesome. I loved the moments at the "station." When they were over I always wanted more! Chloe's show and the friends that she made there were fantastically rewritten!

When Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe ended I actually wanted more. This just goes to show that a book that doesn't start off awesome can turn into something you never want to end. Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe totally redeemed itself!

Rating:

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I read books like that all the time where the first part isn't so great and by the end I love the story.

I'm glad this one did a turn around for you!

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

So glad to hear you enjoyed this, even when you thought that you wouldn't! It sounds like a very interesting read. :)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater