Monday, February 6, 2012

Ravenstoke by Augusta Blythe

Title: Ravenstoke
Author: August Blythe
Publication Date: December 4, 2011
Source: Author: Thanks Augusta!
Add to your shelves 


Summary: In Winterborne, Loie and Mia's seventeenth birthdays brought more drama and surprises than they ever expected. Now, in Ravenstoke, they are adjusting to the aftermath and struggling to keep those newfound powers in check. When Andreas is called away to England under mysterious circumstances, a new guy is sent to Salcey Ridge in his place. Cian is smarmy and cocksure and Loie wants nothing more than to unleash a hellhound on him. Unfortunately, Cian isn't the only complication in their lives as the girls must also contend with the reappearance of Mr. Winterborne himself and Loie's most dreaded fear of all - a part in the school musical. Can the girls survive the rest of junior year unscathed?

Review: Ravenstoke is such a fun read. I was so glad to be back in this world that I got to visit in the first book, Winterborne.

Loie, the main character, has such a distinctive voice. That was definitely one of my favorite parts of the book. She's really admirable, too. She has tons of awesome powers but she never once becomes conceited or annoying. Loie is just a very down to earth character. Plus, she was always making me smile with her memorable narration.

We're introduced to a new character in Ravenstoke. His name is Cian and I was definitely enthralled with him. He and Loie don't have much of a romance, they don't see each other that much, but when they did meet I was definitely rooting for them. Hopefully something more will happen in later books!

I was very intrigued by the plot of this one. Loie is growing into her powers, powers that are very powerful and very cool to read about. I loved reading about her training sessions! The plot could be a little bit slow in times but I could get through those parts because of Loie! Loie and her friend Mia take a trip overseas that I absolutely loved!

Overall, Ravenstoke is a fantastic sequel. I'm definitely looking forward to more from Blythe.


Rating:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I haven't read Winterbone, but both of these books look really intriguing. I love that Loie doesn't use her powers badly. It seems like characters that have too much power seem to abuse them and others.

Hope said...

This looks like a really interesting series that I might like, Katie! Thanks for the review!

Dotty said...

Hmmm, this looks cool. I think I would appreciate the main character. Great review!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I haven't read the first book but I'm totally intrigued now! I do love a book that shows a character growing into his/her powers (and wishing I had some of my own...).

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater