Monday, February 20, 2012

Mini Review: The Season by Sarah MacLean

Hi everyone-
I just wanted to do a really fun, mini review of one of my favorite books from a long time ago!

The Season by Sarah MacLean
Published on March 1, 2009 by Scholastic
My Source: Bought

Seventeen-year-old Lady Alexandra Stafford is strong-willed and sharp-tongued and not interested in marriage. Unfortunately, her mother is determined to marry her off to someone safe, respectable, wealthy, and almost certainly boring. But Alex is much more interested in adventure than romance. 

Between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get entangled in her biggest scrape yet. When the Earl of Blackmoor's father is mysteriously killed in a riding accident, Alex helps his son, the devilishly handsome Gavin, to discover the truth. It's a mystery brimming with espionage, murder, suspicion, and true love. Romance and danger fill the air, as this year's Season begins!

Review:
The Season is a fantastic historical fiction book. It combines both that and mystery making this book a fast-paced and ultimately a very fun book.

One of my favorite things about The Season is the characters. I'm always enamored with main characters that are supposed to be all prim and proper but would rather be doing some a little bit more dangerous and fun. This is exactly what Alex, the main character, is like. She's a ton of fun and quite the witty girl. She and her friends really made me smile with their escapades. 

The mystery, at times, could be a bit predictable. This really doesn't detract at all from the quality of The Season. I was still intrigued by the mystery and there are a couple of curve balls in the book. Plus, there are chapters from the killer's point of view--in third person. 

Of course The Season has a very, very nice romance. Gavin, the love interest, and Alex made such a cute couple. They're kind of friends but at the same time love to tease each other and give each other a bad time. This, of course, develops into a romance. Yay! 

Overall, The Season just about has it all. If you're looking for a book with mystery and a swoon-worthy love interest then you might want to give this one a try. I sure wish MacLean would write more YA! 

Rating: 5 stars



4 comments:

Lauren M said...

I've been on a historical kick lately (probably having something to do with Downton Abbey), so The Season definitely sounds like a book I need to pick up! It's a bummer the mystery isn't too difficult to figure out, but overall The Season sounds awesome. Thanks for the review! :)
- Lauren

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I went through a reading phase in high school/college where I read nothing but historical romance, specifically with the Ton and Dukes and seasons...I think I'll have to check this one out! Thanks for the rec.

Lisa said...

I have seen this book around, but never really knew what it was about. It sounds really good. I love when the prim and proper girls rebel...it's so much fun!

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

The characters in this book sound really great! I've not heard of this before, but it definitely sounds like a fun read. :) Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater