Thursday, March 22, 2012

Speed Date with Scotty: Trapped by Michael Northrup

Hi everyone, toady I'm doing something a little bit different. I'm participating in a thing called Speed Dating-with reviews. It's hosted by Mary over at The Book Swarm. The purpose is to tell your thoughts about the book in about 150 words. I think it's a fantastic idea! Go check out her blog to participate. 


Title: Trapped
Author: Michael Northrup
Publisher: Scholastic 
Publication Date: February 2, 2011
Source: Library
Add to your shelves 


SummaryThe day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive. . . .Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision. . . . 


Review: Trapped is a gritty survival story. There's definitely no rainbows and unicorns in this book. But it could be funny at times and very real, making it a worthwhile read.

I wasn't a huge fan of the main character, Scotty. He's a high school boy so I didn't expect much in terms of maturity but sometimes guys just surprise me! I did like how he became stronger and a better person because of the blizzard. 

The actual concept was what I loved that most. Northrup handles it perfectly; the tiniest detail could make me shiver. It fact, I literally had the chills when I read this. Trapped is just that real. Trapped was never boring or dull. There was always a problem for the kids to solve.

Although it has an abrupt ending, Trapped is a read you will remember because of a scary situation you don't ever want to be in. 

(I have the chills just thinking about this book!)


Rating: 3.5 stars

2 comments:

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

You're right--it was a very abrupt ending. I wanted a bit more resolution, though I was still satisfied. It probably would have taken Scotty a lot longer to develop into the more mature person he became if not for the storm. Excellent speed date! *clink*

Lisa said...

Yikes I don't think I would have been liked to have been trapped inside my highschool for a week. This does sound interesting though.

I don't like abrupt endings. I want everything tied up nicely and explain well.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater