Monday, November 28, 2011

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Name of the Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: September 29, 2011
Source: Library


Summary: The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

Review: The Name of the Star was thrilling. It was scary and it was awesome!

Rory, our main character, was one spunky girl. I always like Johnson's characters. They're a little quirky but they have this lovable air about them. One of the things that I liked most about her was that she was brave. I did have a hard time connecting to her in the beginning but soon that passed away as the story got going.

I love the secret ghost police of London that the summary mentioned! All of them were such great people that I could root for. My favorite was definitely side character was from the police was Stephen. That guy was definitely sweet, I can't wait to learn more about him.

But who I really liked out of the supporting characters was Jazza, the roommate, and Jerome, the love interest. The romance definitely wasn't defined in this one but I liked how Johnson focused on the mystery and the plot more.

The plot was tense! I loved how Jack the Ripper was incorporated into the book. It was just plain clever. The last couple of chapters had me on the absolute edge of my seat. I cannot wait for the next one.

The Name of the Star is a book that I'd definitely recommend.


Rating: 4.5 stars

2 comments:

Lauren M said...

I liked that the romance took a backseat to the story, too! The Name of the Star wasn't incredibly impressive to me, but I did enjoy it. Great review, Katie! :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Jazza rocked. Plus, her name? So British. You almost have to say it with a snooty British accent...or at least, I did. Yay -- happy you loved this book, too!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater