Monday, November 21, 2011

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

Title: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: November 21, 2011
Source: Won ARC


SummaryIt's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet.

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.

Review: The Future of Us is an awesome story that asks the question, “What would you do if you knew your future?”


Personally, I thought this was a great book. One of the things I liked most about The Future of Us was the different narrators. The two narrators are the two main characters, Emma and Josh. I really enjoyed Josh’s narration. He seemed like such a great guy. Emma did annoy me a little but she, like Josh, was very easy to connect to. I was invested in the book from very early on. I had to see what journey Asher and Mackler took them on.

I LOVED the idea that Emma and Josh got to see their future Facebook profiles. It was so interesting to see how the littlest, or the biggest things changed their futures. Emma was a little reckless about this ability but I guess I understood why she would be. It was so cool to see what their status updates from the future were.

One thing that I was aware about, and worried about, was that this was set in the 90’s.  I was alive in the 90’s but I’m nowhere old enough to remember anything about that decade. But surprisingly I wasn’t phased. There was some things I’d heard of but really wasn’t overly familiar with, mostly the bands. But there was one thing that totally made me laugh. A beeper. Which I learned was a Pager type of thing. I admit having to ask my parents what it was.

Overall, The Future of Us was an amazing read. The plot was engaging, and I instantly connected to the characters. I’d definitely recommend this one. If you’re younger don’t shy away from this because it’s set in the 90’s!


Rating: 4.5 stars

3 comments:

Lauren M said...

Katie, I swear we share a brain. Like, seriously. I felt the same way! I really enjoyed the story, and the concept was great. :)

Bex said...

This one sounds super cool! Haha, I can't wait to read it myself. I love 90's nostalgia too (not that I'm that old myself, but I do remember a few things!) and from what I've heard from a friend reading it, it's real good and quite funny! Great review. :)

Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

This one looks so great -- of course I do love me some Jay Asher. What a talented writer. I can't wait to read how he deals with the 80's (wow, wasn't tech so incredibly different? moves so fast). Sounds very cool.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater