Thursday, July 12, 2012

Speed Date with Samantha: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Hi! This feature is hosted by Mary over at The Book Swarm. Speed Dating is basically giving a shorter review of the book and it's ton of fun! Go check it out!


Title: Dark Kiss
Author: Michelle Rowen
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: May 29, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Harlequin!
Add to your shelves 


Summary: I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. 

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... 


Review: Dark Kiss a different read for me. I loved that angels and demons had been sent to Earth to work together but something else entirely different was missing. And that, my friends, was emotion.


Yes, there is plenty of emotion that the characters felt but I really didn't care at all for the characters. Their action elicited no reaction or even a smile or frown for me.  Usually it doesn't take much to make me happy but I would have liked to see characters that were more fleshed out and real. Kraven, a demon, was the only character that I felt was very well written. The rest were so-so.

The plot and mythology was engaging, though. Dark Kiss is another quick read that goes by really fast. There's lots of interesting action scenes that definitely kept me satisfied with the book.

I might read the sequel to Dark Kiss but I just wish this one could have been better. 


Rating:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It's hard to enjoy a book when their is no connection between the characters and you. I have to like the characters and genuinely care about them to really like the book.

Thanks for the honest review.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Nothing wrong with a quick read but I do like one with substantial characters. Cheers!

Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

I do have to agree with you. It was hard at times to really care about the characters. But overall it was an entertaining read.

rachel said...

It's a real shame you didn't really get along with the characters but I'm glad to hear it has an enjoyable plot and intriguing mythology! I think I'll try and pick this up in the library soon! Great review!

Great blog! New follower! :D

- Rachel @ Booktastic Reviews

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater